Re: Basic OCaml stuff needed

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:13:48 +0200 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> > > Ok. You're right the version number 8.0pl1 is a bit odd. I renamed
> > > it to 8.0.1 in the svn. Just tell me if you have any other comment
> > > before uploading coq.
> >
> >  Maybe this was not a good idea. I just read a mail from Hugo that
> >  explained the choice for 8.0pl1 (1. to stress that this is just a
> >  port to ocaml-3.08; 2. to stress that this version is fully
> >  compatible with the Coq'Art book). He explicitly says that this is
> >  *not* version 8.0.1. Thus we will probably have 8.0.1 as the next
> >  official version.
> >
> >  For more infos, ask directly to him (I will be offline for several
> >  days).
>
> Bah; this is not to late, i didn't upload yet; but this sounds a bit
> ridicoulous for me. I may call it 8.0.0.1 then or something such, but
> 8.0pl1 is probably greater than 8.0.1 anyway, so ...
>
> Samuel, could you ask Hugo about this and CC me ?

I had agreed to change the version number since I find the pl1 name
quite weird and from a private mail from Hugo[1] I thought that we could
consider that this version was the 8.0.1. However, Claudio seems to tell
that I've been wrong.

According to my understanding of the policy, the version 8.0.1 seems to
be greater than the 8.0pl1 since:
8 = 8
. = .
0 = 0
. > pl ("The lexical comparison is a comparison of ASCII values modified
so that all the letters sort earlier than all the non-letters.")
This seems to be confirmed by:
% dpkg --compare-versions 8.0.1 ">>" 8.0pl1
% echo $?
0
% dpkg --compare-versions 8.0.1 "<<" 8.0pl1
% echo $?
1

Moreover, whenever possible (and sensible), Debian should keep official
version number. I can ask Hugo about that but I really doubt that they
will change the version number for us. That is why I think the best
thing to do is to keep 8.0pl1 as version number. I have reverted the
changes in the svn.

Cheers,

Samuel.

[1] "Nous pensons être prêts à distribuer une version V8.0pl1 (ou
V8.0.1) pour lundi."