Re: splitting up the ocaml package: summary

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 07:39:20AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > Humm... the split is fine with me, but i just don't like name :
> > pkg                    depends               contents
> > ocaml                  everything            everything
> > ocaml-base             ocaml-interpreter
> > ocaml-interpreter
> > ocaml-compilers                              (pseudo package)
> > ocaml-native-compilers                       compilers *.opt
> > ocaml-byte-compilers                         compilers *.byte
> > liblabltk-ocaml                              labltk stublibs
> > liblabltk-ocaml-dev     liblabltk-ocaml      labltk header
> > libbase-extra-ocaml                          extra stublibs
> > libbase-extra-ocaml-dev libbase-extra-ocaml  extra header
> > libgraphics-ocaml                            graphics stublibs
> > libgraphics-ocaml-dev                        graphics header
>
> I have had a look to my geneweb package.
>
> Currently, its dependencccies are:
>
> Build-Depends: .../... ocaml-best-compilers, ocaml (>= 3.04), .../...
>
> I'm not sure to remember why both are required, by the way....anyway,

ocaml-best-compilers is a virtual package, and thus cannot have a
versioned dependency, which is why you need the second.

> this currently works by making it use the native compiler on platforms
> which have one and the byte compiler otherwise....
>
> My understanding of the above scheme is that I should now use only
> "ocaml-compilers" which is a pseudo-package for "native" or "byte"
> depending oin the platform.

Ah, my understanding was that the ocaml-best-compilers magic would not
change, just instead of being ported by the ocaml and
ocaml-native-compilers package, it will be ported by the
ocaml-byte-comilers or ocaml-native-compilers package.

> I suppose of course that I need waiting for these to be uploaded in
> unstable and built on all arches for uploading a modified

Well, test and feedback is welcome _before_ we go on to upload these
changes.

> geneweb. Maybe waiting for the transition packages to reach testing is
> even better as I will be sure that geneweb entering testing will not
> be stucked by some weird thing preventing the ocal packages to enter
> testing.

Nope, because most probably ocaml entering testing will be hindered by
geneweb, or something such. Also, in case of need, there is still
testing-proposed-update. Finally, the only reason we are going to make
this change now, is because it should have 0 influence on most
packages. Gneweb should still build as is, and you should channge the
ocaml to ocaml-compilers or something such. I am not sure this change is
wartranted though, i have to take the time to look at it, and see if it
is acceptable to do it before the sarge release.

Remember this all will need NEW queue processing, and the sarge release
is imminent. I will look at this on the plane, and give you my thoughts
on wednesday, for an upload before the week is out.