Re: Recent ITPs...

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 07:11:44PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 11:45:25AM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> > > Sounds very nice, i wonder if a powerpc version of this would be easily
> > > possible, mmm, ...
> >
> > Yes, though it would have to be a separate ISO image.  amd64 gets by
> > because a 64-bit amd64 kernel can still use a 32-bit userland.
>
> Naturally, Also powerpc binaries are a bit bigger than x86 ones.

Yup.  Shouldn't be a problem; i386 ISO still is about 550MB.  Also I'm
planning to put mkzftree in there, so that should cut the ISO size to
about half that.

> > Actually, I'm working on the code now to make it more portable to other
> > archs.  All that it really needs is a module mechanism for bootloaders
>
> Do you have a (arch i suppose) repository of it available somewhere,
> where i could look at it and help out ?

I seem to have developed a slight reputation <grin>

Yes.  Grab jgoerzen@complete.org--projects/configs--head--1.0 and then
tla buildcfg dfsbuild/latest.  jgoerzen@complete.org--projects is at
http://arch.complete.org/projects.

I used this as an opportunity to learn Shell and Cash.  Some code needs
refactoring now that I know them better.  You have been warned. :-)

I'll be working on the Alpha port soon.  That will cause me to put in
the infrastructure necessary for PowerPC.  I don't know about making
bootible yaboot CDs, but I'm assuming (hoping, perhaps) that it's not
too bad.

You will need Cash to build.  It's still in Incoming, but my .debs and
source are available from http://people.debian.org/~jgoerzen/dfs/source.

> > I'll probably be doing Alpha next, and possibly PowerPC after that.
> > That will exhaust the archs I have access to :-)
>
> I would be glad to help with the powerpc part.

Excellent.

-- John