Re: Installing more of OCaml

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> Thanks, the examples sound convicing to me. What do you think is a
> reasonable name for a library including the stuff you're requesting? On
> the cduce-devel ML you stated that you've looked for something similar
> both for GODI and the gentoo distribution, have you already
> chosen/proposed a name for this stuff? If possible it would be better to
> be consistent ...

I included the stuff directly in the core ocaml GODI package. For a source
distribution, there is no problem (it's just three extra lines in the
driver Makefile). I understand that you might not want to do that for the
main ocaml Debian package. (FWIW, it adds 2Mb to the installed files, or
650 Mb for the gzipped version.)

GODI installs the files into the lib/ocaml/compiler-lib directory. Maybe
ocaml-compiler-lib would be a decent name ?

Just out of curiosity, did the Debian OCaml maintainer consider some
possible interactions with GODI ?  GODI has the ability to build binary
packages. Maybe it will be possible to generate Debian packages from GODI
build instructions. Another possible thing would be to package GODI itself
as a Debian package, or conversely to make GODI aware of available Debian
packages. Anyway, it is probably a good idea to consider positive
interactions with GODI quite early,

> I suppose Sven was asking you to hack the ocaml debian package for
> shipping this stuff as a new package and then a debian developer to
> upload the package for you. But as already discussed I can look at it
> since I'm already familiar with the ocaml debian package. I would just
> wait a bit more to understand how much overlap exists between your
> request and the cameleon needs.

Ok. Thanks.

-- Alain