Re: Perl4caml packaged

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 01:26:06AM +0100, sylvain.le-gall@polytechnique.org wrote:
> - if a problem arise in one package, that you need help from another DD,
>   it is the best way to share effort ( i have some experienced syncing
>   with Mr Edward -- was really easy ).

Debian has already instruments for coping with such issues: the BTS, the
pool and so on. NMUs have always worked perfectly without CVS/SVN/...

The real plus given by versioning systems is for people working actively
together on packages, with the best possible example in collectively
maintained packages. For sporadic help, just use apt-get source + patch
+ NMU + BTS, is also more standard and all DDs knows how to use it. You
can't say the same for SVN.

> But i don't want to run a flameware, you can do what you want...

Don't misunderstand my point of view: I like SVN and I've put some of my
packages on it for collective maintainance. Simply I don't think that
all ocaml related packaged should be on SVN.

> Which are the packages that are in pkg-ocaml-maint but you don't
> maintain here anymore ? ( just to remove them )

Well none of them. In the past they used to be camlimages and camlidl,
but afterwards I realized that I had no longer time for maintaining
those packages by myself and I decided to put both of them under
collective maintainance. So they are now in the appropriate place.

> And optionally :
> What difficulties have you regarding svn ? ( at the beginning i think
> you were a pro pkg-ocaml-maint )

None. See the point above about misunderstanding :)

> > Why? Users have "apt-get source" and this is enough IMO.
> No, i think it is a good idea to have a list of ocaml related package...
> Just to know which ocaml related software are around....

Yes, this is reasonable. If you like we can add empty entries on SVN
stating that this or that package is not maintained on SVN but is
available via apt-get source and bla bla bla ...