Re: ocaml 3.07beta2 is up at people.debian.org/~luther/ocaml

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:16:03AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Sven Luther (sven.luther@wanadoo.fr):

> > > lintian needs update. BTW, you can now use 3.6.1 as long as you use
> > > debconf for user input during package installation.
> >
> > I don't do any user input thingy anymore, so i guess it is ok, wheter i
> > use debconf or not.
>
> It is. The "should" about debconf use for user input is the only non
> trivial thing that changed.

:))

> > > Maybe you can consider using in debian/rules a system for
> > > automagically replace upstream-provided config.{guess|sub} files by
> > > more up-to-date ones which come with autotools-dev.
> >
> > I don't like this, it messes up the .diff.gz file with lot of useless
> > config* stuff. What is the best way to handling this ?
>

> Having upstream update their files more often, maybe .. :-)

As they have a one year release cycle, i don't think this will be often
enough.

> As far as I have understood, having up-to-date files is important for
> porting issues, mostly on exotic architectures. I learned about this
> when I got FTBFS'ed because one of my package did not build anymore on
> ARM, IA64 or whatever.....

Yes i know, but i can apply these patches by hand when needed, and since
ocaml exotic arch support is limited by the native code compiler, for
which code generation code will not write itself alone, whatever the
config.xxx stuff says, i don't think it is as important.

I will try to get the ocaml team use a more recent config.xxx stuff
before the 3.07 release though.