Re: /usr/include/caml vanished from ocaml

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

>>   Other linux distributions don't need to see -I flag and they
>>   ship files in /usr/lib/ocaml/caml. This is also where the
>>   ocaml tarball installs files (it can be /usr/local).
>>   So, I'd like that we keep compatibility with other distributions.
>
> The /usr/include/caml symlink is there only for convenience. I can
> remove it if you feel like that, but /usr/include is the right place to
> put include files (says policy and such).

  Policy doesn't say you cannot install such files where there
  are installed by default.

  The /usr/include/caml link is fine, but it must point to
  headers files and /usr/lib/ocaml/3.06/caml is empty.

>>   Olivier Andrieu told me it is important to use ocamlc for
>>   compiling C stubs because it uses the GCC that was used to
>>   compile the ocaml compilers. So, there cannot be confusions
>>   between C compilers.
>
> Yes, if you use ocamlc, then there is no problem.
>
> BTW, does this mean that the ocaml package should depend on the gcc it
> was compiled with ?

No, GCC are compatible between each other and gcc is build essential.
But there can be other compilers that GCC on the system.

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org