Re: ocaml compiled binaries and rpath

Hi Ocaml maintainers!

Am 2003-04-11 11:11 +0200 schrieb Sven Luther:
> > It seems to be against Debian policy to use rpath; on the other hand,
> > the ocaml linker does not seem to allow disabling it (at least the
> > documentation says nothing about this issue).
>
> Well, see the huge flamewars about this on debian-mentors some time
> back. It didn't resulted in any conclusive result though.

Hmm, that's a pity.

> > lintian says:
> >
> > W: planets: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/planets
> > /usr/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib
> > N:
> > N:   The binary or shared library defines the `RPATH'. Usually this is a
> > N:   bad thing. Most likely you will find a Makefile with a line like:
> > N:       gcc test.o -o test -Wl,--rpath
> > N:   or
> > N:       gcc test.o -o test -R/usr/local/lib
> > N:   Please contact debian-devel@lists.debian.org if you have questions
> > N:   about this.
>
> Just ignore it or add a override.

Okay, if the ocaml maintainer himself tells me that, I feel assured to
do that. :-)

Another DD pointed me at the tool "chrpath" which is able to remove
the RPATH in a library. Would you recommend using that?

> I will try to have a look at your package this evening, if you give
> me a pointer to it.

Ups. I just started yesterday evening, the package is not yet in a
good shape (no manpage yet, Makefile needs to be adapted, does not yet
support non-native compiling, etc.). However, these are quite
independent from the rpath issue, so if you are willing to take the
time, I would be pleased, of course.

The package's name is "planets" (see RFP #187988, ITP'ed by me) and
I will always upload the current version to my hompage, where they are
referenced by

	http://www.piware.de/Sources.gz

> That said :
>
>   1) have you read the ocaml packaging policy in /usr/share/doc/ocaml ?

Of course. It was helpful for various packaging considerations, but
does not mention rpath.

>   2) There is a debian-ocaml-maint mailing list that is maybe more
>   suited to discusing things related to packaging ocaml stuff, and i
>   will CC this mail there, where you may want to subscribe if you are
>   going to maintain ocaml related stuff.

Thanks and sorry for choosing the wrong list.

Have a nice day!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt
home:  www.piware.de

Verteidigen Sie Ihre Freiheit und Ihre Rechte! Stoppt TCPA!
Defend your freedom and your rights! Stop TCPA!
http://www.notcpa.org