Re: ocaml 3.06 + mlgtk + lablgl

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 01:57:41PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Sven LUTHER (luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr):
> > Hello, ...
> >
> > I am just uploading ocaml 3.06-1 to ftp-master's incoming.
>
> And geneweb 4.07-1 followed by a few hours (I was waiting for ocaml 3.06 as
> broken 3.05 wasn't suitable for build as advertised here by Jérome, thakns
> Jérome).

Nice, ...

notice that 3.05 is still in unstable :((( but 3.04 is in testing, so it
is not that catastrophic.

3.06 failed to build on alpha due to an out of memory message when
running the ocamldoc sh script. i hope this is only a problem with the
alpha box, and not a problem with ocaml, i will try to build it manually
nextly.

> > to put there, i lost my mail archive), and 8 is about a new, cleaner way
> > of doing dependencies for libraries. (no more ocaml (>=3.06-1), ocaml
> > (<<3.07-1), but simply ocaml-3.06).
>
> Well, at this time, in geneweb, I have :
>
> Suggests: ocaml (>= 3.04), menu (>= 1.5), gwtp
>
> I don't really know why I added this Suggestion on ocaml....:-). I'll
> investigate and will probably remove it (geneweb can run without ocaml, of
> course).

Please do ...

> But I also have a "Build-Depends: debhelper, ocaml-best-compilers, ocaml (>=
> 3.04), doc-base" line.
>
> Why this line? First of course for properly getting either the native or the
> bytecode compiler, depending on their availibility on a given
> architecture....but ALSO because upstream developer (namely Daniel de
> Rauglaudre) mentions that ocaml 3.04 is *required* and sufficient (for what
> I have tested until now) for this version of Geneweb.
>
> If I replace my "ocaml (>=3.04)" statement by "ocaml-3.06" (or whichever
> further version), I will make package builds more restrictive without any
> real reason. For instance, the unofficial woody backports which I maintain
> for Daniel's FTP site will require a small useless change to debian/control...
>
> So, in my opinion at least, there are reasons for still carrying old way
> dependencies rather than the one suggested by ocaml_packaging_policy....and
> this is why I keep my Build dependencies as such...at least as long as
> someone convinces me that I am wrong..:-)

Please reread section 8) of the ocaml_packaging_policy :

Please reread section 8) of the ocaml_packaging_policy :

     The ocaml libraries should always depend on the exact version of ocaml
     they were build with. Since ocaml 3.06-1, the ocaml and ocaml-base
     package now provide virtual packages called ocaml-3.06 and
     they were build with. Since ocaml 3.06-1, the ocaml and ocaml-base
     package now provide virtual packages called ocaml-3.06 and
     ocaml-base-3.06 respectively.

     Ocaml libraries should build depend on ocaml-3.06 :

       Build-Depends: ocaml-3.06

     Ocaml library runtime packages (the libxxx-ocaml)
     should depend on ocaml-base-3.06 :

       Depends: ocaml-base-3.06

     And Ocaml library developpment packages (the libxxx-ocaml-dev)
     should depend on ocaml-base-3.06 :

       Depends: ocaml-3.06

Notice how it speak only about _library_ packages, not about application
packages, as it did as well in the older packaging policy, altough it
may have been less clear.

So, again, people don't really read what i write, maybe i am not clear
enough, should i be insisting more heavily on the fact that it only
concerns libraries and not apps here ?

Notice also, upstream does recommend to rebuild _everything_ when a new
release of ocaml is available, and the it is absolutely necessary to
build libraries with the exact same version of ocaml as the tools will
be built with, it may not seem so, but it is. As an example, when i
built my program with ocaml 3.05 and 3.04 built libraries (lablgl and
lablgtk) it seemed to work fine, but segfaulted when building on of the
files. Also notice that 3.05 failed to bump the .cmi version number,
thing which 3.06 did (xavier told me, i have not checked), and should
not even work with older 3.04 libraries anymore.