Re: ocaml 3.05 uploaded to ftp-master.

Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

>>   I'm afraid I haven't installed it yet. However, after reading what Xavier
>>   said about bugs in 3.05, I think I'm going to put it on hold until 3.06.
>>   It is too much broken. It is probably unfortunate to have it in Debian,
>>   but it is too late now.
>
> No, it is unstable, it will go into testing or even on users system,
> only when all dependencies are solved, which will not happen anytime
> soon, especially if we don't rebuild the libraries.
>
> Note also that they forgot to bump the .cmi magic number, so it will try
> to build with current libraries, but segfault ...

Yes, too bad :(

> Anyway, i feel it is good that it is in debian now, so people can test
> it, maybe i should have but it in experimental though, with the
> hindsight i have now.

Well, I hope they'll have a 3.06 ASAP, because Debian unstable means
that the packaging my be unstable, not the app ;-)

> BTW, what do you all think about my mail to Xavier about the version
> numbering ? i feel 3.06 should be called 3.05.1, not 3.06.

I totally agree with you on this. I interpreted Xavier's reply as
a polite way to ask you to mind your own business ;) I don't know if
you had the same feeling ;)

Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org