Re: ocaml 3.05 uploaded to ftp-master.

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:48:38PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 04:27:49PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > i just uploaded the ocaml 3.05 package to ftp-master, well, i am in the
> > process of uploading it.
>
> Good, I can release Epeire :)

:)))

If you could also build the i386 package, that would be fine.

> BTW, what is the transition plan ?
>
> - no need for dh_ocamlld any more

No need for it, if and only if your package installs dll.so in stublibs.

But the ocaml-ldconf stuff is still active, and you can make use of it
as usual.

As an example, i have rebuilt mlgtk, which i am the only active upstream
anyway, to install the dll.so into stublibs, and thus removed the
dh_ocamlld line (well commented it out) and it worked fine.

But for lablgtk and lablgl, i just changed the dependency lines, and
rebuilt the package, and it worked fine also. I have not yet uploaded
those, due to my bandwith problem, but ocaml was important for all of
you. I will probably drop the dh_ocaml stuff once there is a new
upstream release (which most probably will hapen soon) which fixes the
stublibs issue.

(notice that the stublibs is now officially supported by ocaml, and is
even mentioned in the changelog).

> - change dependencies (>= 3.05) and (<<3.06)
> The problem is we have to expect 3.06 for soon.

Well, this is a problem, well more an inconvenience really.

1) it would be nice to have some automatic way of generating the (>=
3.05) and (<<3.06) dependencies, i will have to fiddle a bit more with
the variable substitution stuff, but i guess it should be possible to
generate it with the ocamlc -v output. (i will ask Xavier for a -version
option like the -where wich will get the version without the other
stuff).

The other problem, is that trully there is incompatibility.

I had built ocaml 3.05, and tried to build my program with the lablgl
and lablgtk built for 3.04, and it worked fine some, but segfaulted
after a time for one of the files. Notice that the .cmi and .cmo version
did not change, but there seem to be other changes around, so trully we
need to have these strong dependencies.

I guess it is possible that 3.06 will be compatible with 3.05 since
there appear to be only minor changes to the parser or something, but we
really don't know, and thus in doubt we need to rebuild all libraries to
be sure.

> - something more ?

No i think not, did you read the policy document ? what do you think of
it ?