Re: Versioning OCaml in Debian [Was: Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf]

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 09:52:54AM +0200, Claudio Sacerdoti Coen wrote:
> > I don't know, i personnally don't use findlib, and i guess there may be
> > problems with package where upstream don't use findlib.
>
>  It depends on what you mean by "use findlib".

I think it zas clear from the skipped context.

I personnaly never use findlib, nor for packaging, nor for personal
stuff.

What i was saying here was that packages where upstream don't use
findlib for installation.

>  IMHO the important requirement is that it _can_be_used_ with findlib,
>  i.e. that it provides a META file (usually it is just 1m to write one).

As far as the META is concerned, there is no problem, if upstream ship them,
then fine, we install it, provided it is correct (we would need to check
that, with regard to the other packages and other such), if not, then we
simply add one during the packaging of the lib, and all will be fine.

>  If you mean _that_use_findlib_to_compile_itself_ than there are problems,
>  but we probably don't need such a strong requirement. Neverthless, when

I also don't think so.

>  a packager is messing with a package installation, it may be easier to
>  just use findlib for that (it was for me with some third party packages).

Well, this is because you use findlib, and are not familiar with the
debian packaging stuff.

For me, it is easier to mess with the Makefile, and the debian/rules
script, as well to use either the debhelper programs or the standard
stuff to put things were they belong, if the standard install stuff is
not doing things correctly, rather than messing with the install stuff
so it supports findlib.

>  The real beauty of findlib is that the two aspects are completely
>  orthogonal.

Well, i think i know about the use of findlib to find dependencies of
programs and the order of libraries you have to link in, but i am not
familiar with this other aspect of it tat you are speaking about, namely
the installation help. I think this second aspect is not necessarily
something which we need for debian packaged stuff, altough it is usefull
for third party stuff.

Well, i think i know about the use of findlib to find dependencies of
programs and the order of libraries you have to link in, but i am not
familiar with this other aspect of it tat you are speaking about, namely
the installation help. I think this second aspect is not necessarily
something which we need for debian packaged stuff, altough it is usefull
for third party stuff.

And maybe other developper feel the same way.

But then, i may be wrong, and if it is such, i would be happy to be
corrected.