Re: Versioning OCaml in Debian [Was: Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf]

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 01:30:41AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> No, I was talking about OCaml version this module has been compiled with,
> but knowing the version of an installed module is also a user-friendly
> feature, and this version number should appear in module documentation when
> it exists.

Ok, our currently (upcoming) debian ocaml policy state that debian
programs _and_ library should have depends like

  "ocaml (>= ver) (<< ver+1)"

(I know not all ocaml debian packages, including some of mines, fullfill
this requirement).
So the admin can just use dpkg.
This obviuosly only apply when dependencies are debianized, for the
other cases see below.

> Why?  One only has to install non-Debianized programs into
> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/ instead of /usr/local/lib/ocaml/, that's
> all.  He then knows that library or program has been compiled with
> OCaml 3.04, without any knowledge of OCaml tools.

How can we control third part installation routines? I can set the
default of findlib to install stuff there, but I can't surely impose to
all third part softwares to use findlib neither can I impose to use the
default findlib values ...

How does it work with perl?

> Debianized programs can certainly live without versioning, dependencies are
> already contained in the control file.

Agreed, as above.

> Where could I find documentation for these META files?

Have a look at the documentation of the ocaml-findlib package.

> > Even if we will choose a versioned solution, the locate way doesn't work
> > with ocaml, because a library may ship a lot of .cmo .cma files and not
> > a single .pm file as the majority of perl modules do. So you can't infer
> > that an OCaml library is installed only because one of the .cmo
> > installed match with the name of the library.
>
> Sure, but an admin will use it anyway because he is not aware of these
> intrinsics.

Ok, but the problem is how we can implement this tool: we can't just use
locate, the better that comes in my mind is findlib (try 'ocamlfind
list'), but we have to impose the use of findlib to all debian packages!
(this is a real minor effort anyway ...).

> > Only if they are installing a non debianized ocaml library package and
> > again, if we mention /usr/lib/ocaml in ocamlfind.conf and ld.conf by
> > default they have to change no configuration files!
>
> But when he later installs ocaml 3.05, he will be unable to know which
> (non debianized) ocaml libraries have been compiled with ocaml 3.04 and 3.05.

Ok, but we (the sysadm) can't blame us as debian, he will have to blame
the third part installation routine that doesn't install in a versioned
subdir. We DD can just support versioned directories in /usr/local,
nothing more.

Stefano Zacchiroli - undergraduate student of CS @ Univ. Bologna, Italy
zack@cs.unibo.it | ICQ# 33538863 | http://www.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
"I know you believe you understood what you think I said, but I am not
sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!" -- G.Romney