Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 08:59:29AM -0600, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> >> This is exactly why installing modules under
> >> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/ makes sense: when you upgrade to 3.05,
> >> you can recompile only the modules you want now, and let less used
> >> modules survive in /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/.  If ocaml 3.05 also
> >> search files under /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/ as a last resort, it
> >> could find old modules.  If by chance they work without being
> >> compiled against 3.05, they are usable, and if compatibility is
> >> broken, the fact that they reside under /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/
> >> clearly shows that breakage may be due to an OCaml version
> >> incompatibility, and that this module must be reinstalled.
> >
> > Mmm, ok, but this would only make sense if there is a ocaml-3.04 and
> > a ocaml-3.05 package, thing which i didn't want to do.
>
> I think having simultaneous installs of different versions of ocaml is
> a good goal.  I recently read an article about the popularity of
> Debian and this kind of thing was cited as one reason -- it is
> flexible enough to support the tools developers actually need.
> E.g. it may be very convenient for a developer to have 3.04 and 3.05
> installed on the same box, depending on the work they are doing.
>
> Of course, this may add more work for the 100% volunteer Debian
> package managers!  It is certainly not required.

Yes, the true thing here is to mesure if the effort involved is
outweighted by the benefit optained.

The problem here is not so much the ocaml suite itself, but the load of
libraries that need to be rebuild for each release independently.

And it has all to be in a way that is friendly to the autobuilders.

That said, it can be done, quite easily on top of that, but i didn't had
time for this right now, and other stuff were more important.