Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

Sven Luther <luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

>> This is exactly why installing modules under
>> /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/ makes sense: when you upgrade to 3.05,
>> you can recompile only the modules you want now, and let less used
>> modules survive in /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/.  If ocaml 3.05 also
>> search files under /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/ as a last resort, it
>> could find old modules.  If by chance they work without being
>> compiled against 3.05, they are usable, and if compatibility is
>> broken, the fact that they reside under /usr/local/lib/ocaml/3.04/
>> clearly shows that breakage may be due to an OCaml version
>> incompatibility, and that this module must be reinstalled.
>
> Mmm, ok, but this would only make sense if there is a ocaml-3.04 and
> a ocaml-3.05 package, thing which i didn't want to do.

I think having simultaneous installs of different versions of ocaml is
a good goal.  I recently read an article about the popularity of
Debian and this kind of thing was cited as one reason -- it is
flexible enough to support the tools developers actually need.
E.g. it may be very convenient for a developer to have 3.04 and 3.05
installed on the same box, depending on the work they are doing.

Of course, this may add more work for the 100% volunteer Debian
package managers!  It is certainly not required.

--
Don't send mail to Maury.Reynolds@hole.lickey.com
The address is there for spammers to harvest.