Re: Buglet in ocaml-ldconf

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 11:14:39AM -0600, Matt Armstrong wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@lambda.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > BTW, Xavier don't likes ocaml-ldconf :(((
> >
> > What do you all thing about it ?
>
> I basically buy Xavier's argument.  I had quite a bit of problems with
> ocaml not finding .so files, etc. and had to go learn how ocaml-ldconf
> worked.  :-)

Ah, yes, but you are using findlib, which i am not, ...

And anyway, ocaml-ldconf is there for package maintainers, users should
simply add stuff into /etc/ocaml/ld.conf.

Maybe we could even add /usr/local/lib/ocaml by default to
/etc/ocaml/ld.conf, and in this way you could simply install your local
stuff there and don't have to worry about it.

That said, the main point is that currently, most libraries install
their stuff under a subdirectory of /usr/lib/ocaml, so there must be
changes to the libraries build process in order to accomplish that, but
that is up to local users.

> I have the impression that findlib + ld.conf integration could be
> better.  I'd like something installed with findlib to "just work"
> without having to manually tweak /etc/ocaml/ld.conf.
>
> Also, findlib seems to like to putting things in /usr/lib/ocaml
> instead of /usr/local/lib/ocaml.  It seems like things I install
> myself should go in /usr/local.

Yes, this seems a good idea, that said, i am no findlib guy myself, so i
cannot speak about this.