Re: cameleon: byte or native?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 10:24:46AM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>Yes, but I'd like it not to happen all the time.
> >>

> >Then just build everything as both nativecode and bytecode.
> >

> Yes. However, some problem comes to my mind:
>
> The main cameleon package depends on the remaining cameleon
> packages (zoggy, report, and so on). These dependencies are
> versioned. Since versioned provides do not exist, this
> native/bytecode sceme will not work properly since nothing
> is currently able to check those versions.
>
> I could add a pseudo verioned Provides:  but since I usually use
> CVS snapshots for bug fixes, it might be a bit overkilling to have
> Provides: zoggy-1.2+cvs.2002XXXX
>
> Any idea ?

Fix dpkg so it handles versioned provides ?

More seriously, if it is only for the cameleon package, you could do :

Depends: zoggy (= 1.2+cvsxxx) | zoggy-byte (= 1.2+cvsxxx)

And so on. This is not a nice solution, but it solves this problem.

BTW, i choose the -byte suffix for bytecode programs, do you think this
is a good choice ?