Re: proposal: new ocaml dirs schema

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:27:02AM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Sven Luther <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:
>
> > Ok, so we will move the directory.
> >
> > And would it be ok with you to have multiple installations, if it in no
> > way impact the 'main' ocaml install, nor all the users ?
> >
> > The plan i had was to have this other ocaml package installable, and
> > that only people who knew what they where doing could use it. That is
> > why i don't really like Stefano's symlink stuff.
>
>   The symlink proposal works fine for at least GCC and Python, BTW.

Ok, ...

But how do we move the symlinks around ? Do we use a plain
alternative/diversion thingy (need to recheck on those) or do we do
something more fancy ? How do we force the symlinks to be ever on the
last installed package ? I don't believe we need them really, since i
don't think we want a trully // install, but something more asymetric,
where the last released version of ocaml (3.06 today) is the one used,
the other being more an additional service for peoples who really need
it, and are ready to do a bit more work to make it work.

I can even provide a Makefile.3.04 or something such file, which would
define the OCAMLC, OCAMLOP, etc to point to the ocaml 3.04 binaries,
without real need for a symlink thingy.

> > But then, like i said, we have time to speak about it, and convince us
> > all that we did choose the right solution.
>
>   I'd like to see something implemented before telling anything ;-)
>   But again, I'm against any package duplication.

Ok, the next version of ocaml i will provide, (well apart from the
bugfixe ones maybe), will move the ocamllib dir, and no more. Mmm, maybe
i should not really wait, and upload it. This would need a rebuild of
all the ocaml libraries though.

And then, as an example, i will package ocaml-cvs, and you can look and
see how it works. There will, at first, not be any kind of libraries for
this one, so it will be easier. Then, if we are satisfied with it, i can
rebuild ocaml 3.04, and you can play some with the libraries to see if
you like it.