Re: Cameleon packages almost done

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:02:12PM +0200, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> En réponse à Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr>:
>
> > What as that to do with it ?
> >
> > I had ocaml providing ocamltk in the archive long before ocamltk was
> > finally removed. The pool mechanism can handle that, no problem.
> >
> > Just do a Provides, conflict and replaces configwin, and everything
> > will
> > be fine. apt-get install configwin will still install configwin in
> > preference to cameleon though.
>
> Well, no. It is quite different here. I do build a
> libconfigwin-ocaml-dev package from the cameleon source
> and such a package already exist in the
> archive and is built from the configwin source.

But if you don't release a newer version of configwin, then
there will be the older version of it compiled from configwin, and a
newer version of it compiled from cameleon.

> I don't think you can have two packages with the same name
> but provided by different source package. Am I wrong?

Well, my guessing, is that nothing in the pool itself will block it,
since it is not two package with the same version and the same name, but
there may be a problem with the override file.

And what do you want to do, ask for its removal, and put it in a staging
area while it is removed, and then only upload it ?

I would upload it and ask for the removal of the old configwin, and let
the ftp-master (or whoever is in charge of that) do they work. No need
to muddle the water more with uploading to a staging area.

(That said, you can do all that and upload to a staging area all the
same).