Re: [zack@cs.unibo.it: Re: debian package of the english translation]

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:41:03AM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 03:33:54PM -0700, Ruchira Datta wrote:
> > these would be impractical.)  Why not just put a link to the book in
> > README.Debian in the ocaml or ocaml-doc packages?
>
> No problem for me, as stated, I would like to preserve the translators
> wishes not to package this draft version if they, as seems, really want
> this.
>
> BTW I will add a link to the draft english version in the package of the
> french book ASAP.
>
> In the meantime, anyway, I've already build up the debian package
> containing the english translation (obviously I haven't uploaded it in
> the debian distirbution), could you put it on the english translation
> web site?
> In this way you can count access to the book and debian user could
> benefit from the easyness layer added by apt-get or by a simple .deb
> package. Moreover if someone would be sure that the package is an
> "almost official" package, he can check my gpg signature on the .changes
> and verify that it was built by a debian developer.

You could also put up a private apt-getable repository on your debian site, so
people can get the package you did from there, if they want the beta version.
With a link to it from the README.Debian page, and a _BIG_ mention that it is
beta, i think this should be acceptable (but ask the authors about it first),
eventually pointing to them that this early distribution would encourage
people to review it and point to them problems they may have missed.