Re: ocaml 3.04 missing on ia64 and powerpc

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 11:37:17AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 08:55:34AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> > As subject says.
> > I had a quick look at the build logs (on buildd.debian.org), the
> > compilation on ia64 fails due to a "Stack overflow", on powerpc the
> > compilation fails due to an assembler error that seems related to wrong
> > assumption on size of integers.
>
> Maybe the problem on powerpc is related to this message on debian-devel?
>
> > Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 20:08:51 +0100
> > From: Gerhard Tonn <GerhardTonn@swol.de>
> > To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: at least 260 packages broken on arm, powerpc and s390 due to
> > wrong assumption on+char signedness
> >
> > Hi,
> > I had recently a runtime problem on s390 with a package that compiled
> > fine.  After a while I figured out that it was caused by the fact that
> > the package owner assumes that a char is signed per default. This is
> > _not_ true on
> >
> > arm
> > powerpc
> > s390
> <snip>

I have received a patch (and bugreport #127347) that enables building of ocaml
on powerpc. It seem to be a jump related thingy, but i did not test it, nor
do i fully understand what is going on. Anyway, it could also be related to
what you say.

I forwarded this bug report upstream, let's see what they say about it.

That said, it don't solve the ia64 problem ...