Re: ocaml-tools ?

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 03:58:03PM +0200, Georges Mariano wrote:
> Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >
> > Hello, ...
> >
> > What about integrating ocamlexc
> > (http://pauillac.inria.fr/caml/ocamlexc/ocamlexc.htm) into the ocaml-tools
> > package, or does it need a package of its own ?
> why not ?? if it is useful for developers
> (and having it in Debian is a good way for me to try it ;-)

There are other stuff in the ocaml hump that would be worthy of inclusion
also.

> > Any hint about it, but since it depends on ocamltk,
> hmmm, what's the current status of ocamltk ??
> I mean as a Debian package ?? You know that we have problems (related
> with tk) while trying to compile it ... and it is an orpheaned package
> !?

Well, ocamltk is no more maintained since 1997, when Christophe Le Bars
<clebars@debian.org> decided it was no more worth it to package ocaml stuff
(non-free at that time) and i took over ocaml, but not ocamltk. I made a NMU
of it for potato and ocaml 2.x in november 1999, and that's the end of it.
Christophe is still listed as the ocamltk maintainer.

I did download all the stuff, and am prepared to take ownership of it, and
upload a new package soon though.

Also we had a mmm package a long time ago, but it simply vanished from debian,
it is not even in potato, i think it is in slink though.

> > maybe a ocaml-xtools would be welcome here ?
>
> or something like ocaml-dev-task (installing ocaml-tools, ocamlexc,
> ...)
> or task-ocaml-dev, I don't if there is a policy here...

mmm, this is something different altogether.

the ocaml-xtools would be similar to the ocaml-tools package (it could even be
built from the same source package), but would contain all the stuff that
depends on X, thus having a X free ocaml-tools, and ocaml-xtools that depends
on X stuff like ocamltk.

a task-ocaml package (i don't think a task-ocaml-dev would be interresting,
since after all ocaml is a developpment package, isn't it ?) would just have a
bunch of dependencies on other ocaml packages.

BTW, i have a ocaml 3.01-5.2 package that has full menu support, even with a
small JoeCaml icon, but will not upload it, not until i have the arm patch
from Xavier. I want ocaml 3.01-5 to go into testing as quickly as possible.