Re: ocaml-deb documentation packaging

Ralf Treinen wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 10:20:02AM +0200, Georges Mariano wrote:
> >
> > I think that it would be nice if documentation (I mean manuals, examples,
> > tutorial and so on) will be (always!) packaged separately ...
>
> This is completely impractical since it would about double the number of
> packages (just think of all the man pages).

Right (of course), but I was thinking about "add-on" documentation, that is
postscript/sgml/html and so on, (which, by the way, are much more large
than manpages...)
Man pages are particular as they can be seen as "console help"...

As an example, suppose that all users are very happy with bibtex2html and
use it every day (this is the case ;-). The package comes with its html
documentation (which is rather short because using bibtex2html is easy).

I can "serve" the bibtex2html doc across our local network by using a web
server running doc-central Debian system. Ok, but why do I have to install
the package "bibtex2html" on a linux box where no user have direct access
??

In fact, there are lots of packages currently following the expected scheme
(caml-doc, coq-doc, tetex-doc, samba-doc and so on), I was just saying that
this splitting is not a question of documentation size and that it can be
generalized as soon as packages came with tutorials, large examples and so
on...

I'm not sure that this will double the package number.
try a "du -s *" in /usr/share/doc and you will see that only only
(approx.) one third of the packages seems to have huge documentation.

After all, I just suggest to try this scheme on debian-ocaml packages
(if needeed)..

> However the File
> Hierarchy Standard imposes that everything that is
> architecture-independent goes into /usr/share.
don't see the problem...

--
# Georges MARIANO                 tel: (33) 03 20 43 84 06
# INRETS, 20 rue Elisee Reclus    fax: (33) 03 20 43 83 59