Re: splitting the ocaml package ???

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 01:35:15PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 10:57:08AM +0100, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > What do you all think of it ?
> >

> first of all, Sven, I'm wondering why you want splint the ocaml package?

Well, to close the following bug :

  #89318: please split off a runtime package

requested by Ralf Treinen.

> If you explain us your reasons, we better send you our opinions.

Well, one of the idea, is to split of ocamlrun in a ocaml-rt package, so that
users wanting to run programs compiled to bytecode will not have to download
and install all 3.7Mo of the ocaml package, while the smallish ocaml-rt
package would not be so big.

Note this is not a problem for -custom built binaries, since these already
include ocamlrun, and are not architecture independent. That said, one of the
TODO items for ocaml 3.02 is to have the -custom binaries to behave like the
not -custom ones.

Ok, this is a good package split, one i wanted to do since the begining, but
err, am still having problems with multi-binaries packages, ...

The other possible split would be :

  * split the toplevel.
  * split the bytecode stuff.
  * split the nativecode stuff.
  * split the extra stuff (like the labltk library and ocamlbrowser, which i
    never uses and don't need installed).

But, as i see that there is a reason for the ocaml-runtime split, there is not
so much interrest for this other packages, so i will most probably let it at
that. I asked about it here, so that people may give me there opinion on this
second batch of package splits.