Re: next ocaml and location of .so lib

On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 01:55:43PM +0200, Sven wrote:
> But then, we have to remember that this version is the one who will be in
> stable, for at least 6 month, if not 1-2 years, depending of if we manage to
> shorten our release cycle or not, and it will make no good if the version in
> stable is incompatible with the current ocaml version, see what happens with
> potato.

I know, but I definitely prefer stable ocaml 3.02 (!!??!!) in woody
than beta ocaml 3.03. To easy the use of ocaml 3.03 in future stable
anyway is sufficient to make package using stuff available in stable.
All packages of mine, for example, depends on debhelper 2.x and not on
debhelper 3.x. This is some times boring (think about files in /etc
automagically marked as conffiles) but I think that is really usefull.

> > I think that we have to decide where .so files will be reside in debian
> > filesystem, so we can put all .so file distributed with modules in one
> > single place and we can configure a default -I path for the toplevel (I
> > guess that this is a compile time option of ocaml, right Sven?). In such
> > a way a user have not to specify thousand of -I option (one for each
> > module he want to use) at toploop command line.
>
> I didn't build yet ocaml 3.03, but i think it will be compile time option,
> unless it uses the standard ld.so stuff. Maybe there will be some kind of -I
> like option, or a env var for it ?

yes IIRC, at least for the toplevel, exists a -I command line option.

> > I'm thinking about something like /usr/lib/ocaml/lib or
> > /usr/lib/ocaml/shared.
>
> Yes, one of the above would be nice, but the more probable is to use whatever
> upstream uses, just changing the /usr/local path they ship with to the /lib
> debian uses.

uhmm ... keep upstream directory fot shared objects means that different
packages may have .so files located differently. What I hope is having
*all* .so in a single directory so you can package ocaml with that
defaults searching .so in that dir.
This is why I asked for a common location ...

Anyway, you're right in saying that is premature, I drop the question
cause Gerd asked me if we have any idea on this ...

Stefano "Zack" Zacchiroli <zack@cs.unibo.it> ICQ# 33538863
Home Page: http://www.students.cs.unibo.it/~zacchiro
Undergraduate student of Computer Science @ University of Bologna, Italy
                 - Information wants to be Open -