Re: building toplevel

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 05:59:32PM +0200, Luc MAZARDO wrote:
> I would like to ask you where i may put my toplevel for being debian compliant
> ??
> I would build an ocamlsdl toplevel, is there a good way for building it
> correctly ?

A quick look at lablgtk gives :

lablgtktop: $(CLIBS) $(MLLIBS) $(INITOBJS)
        $(TOPLEVEL) -o $@ $(MLLINK) -ccopt -L. $(MLLIBS) $(INITOBJS)

to build it, (there is a wrapper on top of this too, which does :

---------------/usr/bin/lablgtk-----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

thread="no"

case $1 in
-help)
    echo "Usage: lablgtk [-thread] <options> [script-file]"
    echo "  -thread  use the threaded version of the toplevel"
    ;;
-thread)
    thread=yes
    shift
    ;;
esac

if test $thread = yes; then
    toplevel="/usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk/lablgtktop_t -I +threads"
else
    toplevel=/usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk/lablgtktop
fi

exec $toplevel -w s -I +lablGL \
     -I /usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk $*
---------------/usr/bin/lablgtk-----------------------------------

and it installs the wrapper in bindir (/usr/bin) and the toplevel in
$(INSTALLDIR) (that is /usr/lib/ocaml/lablgtk).

So i would say :

  1) install everything in /usr/lib/ocaml/sdl, or whatever.

  2) just build the toplevel with mktoplevel and the correct options, and
  install it in /usr/bin (it will be called ocamlsdl or something such)

but most probably this will not work, because the user will then need to add
the -I +sdl argument to this toplevel each time he uses it, so you could write
a wrapper as above, but it in /usr/bin, and but the toplevel in
/usr/lib/ocaml/sdl.

Does this respond your question ?

BTW, will you package ocaml-odbc then ?