Re: compiling ocaml stuff (... gwml, efuns)

Sven LUTHER <luther@dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 09:50:19AM +0100, Georges Mariano wrote:
> > Brent Fulgham wrote:
> >
> > > I have not tried building GwML under Ocaml 3.01 yet.  One problem with both
> > > GwML and Efuns is that they require the source tree for OCaml to build, which
> > > means I actually packaged them improperly (there is no way to declare a
> > > dependency on the source of another package).
> >
> > ?? I don't understand clearly what you mean ...
> > Because If you need the source of Ocaml you can set a build-dependancy on
> > the package
> > Ocaml, this leads to the downloading (and the building) of the source
>
> No, if ocaml is already installed, nothing will be downloaded and
> built. Also you have no guarantee tover the localization of the
> downloaded source in the system.
>
> What does it need the ocaml source for anyway ? Is it for some .h
> files that didn't made it into the binary package ? In this case, we
> should just include them. If not, most .ml, .mli, .cmi and .cmx are
> installed in /usr/lib/ocaml, at least for the libraries.

it need them to compile two of the module of efun :
- the module top-level that enable to have an evluator of ocaml
expression,
- the module dynlik-opt, that is an interpretor of ocaml byte code
written in ocaml, enabling to use dynlink in a native compilation.

--
Rémi Vanicat
vanicat@labri.u-bordeaux.fr