RE: Greetings!

> > How should such a library be named?  libx11-ocaml, perhaps?
>
> or maybe libocaml-x11 ?

Based on the naming convention used for other libraries:

libcompress-zlib-perl_1.08-1.deb
libcurses-perl_1.02-3.deb
libwww-perl_5.48-1.deb
libxml-parser-ruby_0.5.16-2.deb

I think policy indicates libx11-ocaml.  Does that sound okay
to you guys?

> > Agreed.  How should we divvy it up?  I've already gotten some work
> > done on efuns:
> >
> > efuns (editor)
> > libx11-ocaml (x11 library)
> > gmwm (window manager)
> >
> > Who wants to tackle some of these others?  The more libraries and
> > utilities are available, the better the acceptance and use will be.
>
> Package them first, then later one we can go for the others.

Okay.  I'll try to upload today/tomorrow.

> Georges Mariano was maintaining a list of potential ocaml
> packages. so we can add it, better yet would be a dynamic web
> page where you can register and comment on various packages.

Sounds like a great idea.

> > Maybe the efuns module loader code as an ocaml utility?
> > I'm not sure how general-purpose it is yet.  I believe it
> > allows C programs to load and run OCaml bytecode.
>
> Is this not included in ocaml ? It would be really usefull.
> Is it uptodate with ocaml 3.00 ? what does the author say about it ?

Right -- I'm not sure.  From the README:
"
The Efuns package contains:
 - The Xlib library for Ocaml (complete emulation of the C Xlib library)
 - The Dynlink library for native code (allow you to dynamically load
      cmo files in native programs).
 - The Toplevel library (allow you to evaluate ocaml expressions inside
      any program as in the toplevel).
 - The Gwml Generic Window-Manager (a wm configurable in Ocaml).
 - The Efuns Emacs clone editor (an editor configurable in Ocaml).
 - The wXtoolkit (a toolkit of widgets based on Xlib)
"

It appears that everything works with the 2.0 series of OCAML.  I did
compile Efuns under 3.0 without problems, and it seems to work quite well.
Efuns links to the dyneval code, so that part is functional as well.  I
suspect any "new" 3.0 stuff may not be supported.

I'm going to send the author a note (he seems to be an INRIA person as
well) to see if I've understood everything.

It certainly seems like the dyneval code would be an excellent addition to
the OCaml core distribution.  It would make embedding OCaml in other
programs
much easier.

Thanks,

-Brent