Re: Greetings!

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 02:41:10PM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> > > Efuns is a cool hack, but I'm not sure it will interest a lot of
> > > people.
> >
> > but people using debian will have the posibility to have it
> > installed, and maybe trough some fun stuff, they will become
> > interrested in ocaml.
> >
> Yes.  Plus the efuns source tarball includes a fairly nice X11 toolkit
> (not as good as GTK perhaps from an ease-of-use standpoint, but a
> good bare API to X11), an X11 server, and some module loading utilities.
>
> So it should probably be split into a few packages.
>
> How should such a library be named?  libx11-ocaml, perhaps?

or maybe libocaml-x11 ?

> > > Note that there are also some cool libraries available there:
> > >    http://www.npc.de/ocaml/linkdb/
> > > For instance:
> > > - PCRE: Perl Compatibility Regular Expressions for OCaml
> > > - markup : Validating XML parser
> > > - OCamlODBC : ODBC interface for OCaml programs
> > > - netclient : Client for HTTP/1.1 protocol
> >
> > lets package all of it.
> >
> Agreed.  How should we divvy it up?  I've already gotten some work
> done on efuns:
>
> efuns (editor)
> libx11-ocaml (x11 library)
> gmwm (window manager)
>
> Who wants to tackle some of these others?  The more libraries and
> utilities are available, the better the acceptance and use will be.

Package them first, then later one we can go for the others.

Georges Mariano was maintaining a list of potential ocaml packages. so we can
add it, better yet would be a dynamic web page where you can register and
comment on various packages.

> Maybe the efuns module loader code as an ocaml utility?  I'm not sure
> how general-purpose it is yet.  I believe it allows C programs to
> load and run OCaml bytecode.

Is this not included in ocaml ? It would be really usefull. Is it uptodate
with ocaml 3.00 ? what does the author say about it ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER