Re: freekbox3 installer CD

> > the freekbox3 is primarily a KDE-based distribution, but the folks from
> > columbus have proposed a gnome-oriented variant, too.
>
> I'd be interested in this. Is there is a list or group of people that
> are working on this?

coordination is done on freegeek's distro list:

i believe freegeek columbus also has a list where some stuff is
discussed (not sure where, off the top of my head).

all the wiki pages for about freegeek distro development should be
available at:

http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Category:Distro

we'll be having irc meetings twice a month on tuesday nights
(19:15-21:00 -0700):

http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Distro_Meetings

> > also interested in defining additional profiles for simple-cdd, if you
> > have package lists and debconf selections, they could be included as
> > examples for simple-cdd.
> >
> > we could maybe make a debian-np installer separate from the freekbox3...
> > though in the end it would be nice to have a single CD to do Desktop
> > Systems, Application Servers, Internet (web/mail/etc) Servers, etc. if
> > we can fit it all :)

> I agree. I think that any revived Debian-NP *should* be using
> simple-cdd and there's really no reason that we would not want to
> provide the freebox3 options as an option since they are designed for
> and will be useful to subset of non-profit organizations.

in a sense, simple-cdd does some ugly hacks that could probably be done
better.  it would be good to move to using .udebs and base-config hooks
instead of special debconf pre-seeding hooks, i think. but it mostly
seems to work. :)

the big trick is keeping the CD image size down.  putting both KDE and
GNOME onto a single CD pretty much requires using a 700MB CD image, even
though i'd like to try and keep to 650MB for maximum compatibility...
and i'd hate to make 2-3 CD images with largely the same stuff on them
only because of size issues.

anybody interested in working on a livecd?

live well,
  vagrant