Re: Debian Non-Profit Server?

Hi Enrico,

>  - Many of us work on internet servers for Civil Society (riseup.net,
>    comodino.org and so many others)
>  - Many of these projects share lots of common problems (LDAP user
>    database, mailing list software, user management...)
>
> I propose to also work on a "Debian Non-Profit Server" distribution, to
> be used in building internet servers for Civil Society.
>
> The opportunities are endless, like:
>  - joining forces for common maintenance and administration tasks
>  - creating software and protocols to exchange contents between
>    different servers promoting networking among projects
>  - creating stuff like distributed backups, so that if a server is
>    brought down the contents are still around
>
> For now I just want the idea to be in the air: Brazil is not far to hack
> on this in person...

We are very interested in this, particularly in sharing actual hardware
resources. Syndicating backups would be extremely useful.

Anyway, we have servers, and we would like to join forces, at least work
towards that to some extent. Recording such code as a distro isn't
something we are capable of, but would like to learn, to contribute.

Bye bye,

John.