Re: Introduction

> Are there any tips or suggestions for more effectively
> advocating Free Software to non-profits?

Yes, here's my number 1 tip:

Please, for the love of all that is good and decent, open
source developers and advocates need to cease and desist
immediately with the collapsing of the open source universe
into a single point, and recognize that the benefits of
open source are dependent on a number of factors which are
usually outside the perception range of those immersed in
it (i.e., with their heads up their asses).

1. The server is NOT the desktop. No matter how good Unix
and Linux are on the server side that doesn't make them
worth shit on the desktop, yet. When Linux and KDE/Gnome
work as well or better than Mac OS X for the NON-TECHNICAL
END-USER, then you can brag. Until then, when explaining
open source to non-techies and especially non-profits,
please be clear that much of the glory of open source is due
to it's achievements on the server and not the desktop. Stop
trying to be a Corporate Madison Avenue style shill and be
clear about that difference. Tell people the truth and let
them make up their own minds.

2. Open Source is NOT Linux. Please stop trying to force
people to change their operating system every time and allow
them the opportunity to experience open source solutions on
Mac, Windows, and other platforms. The greatest damage done
to the cause of open source is the FUD that has been spread
by well-meaning but misguided people who have poor
communications skills, and only know how to talk about FLOSS
in the context of a complete operating system changeover.
This is pathetic and it must come to an immediate stop. The
way that open source will win hearts and minds and achieve
critical mass is when essential applications that are easy
to use become ubiquitous on platforms other than Linux and
BSD. Stop masturbating over Linux and recognize that the OS
is secondary to what most people care about.

3. Free does NOT mean Free. Stop leaning on the idea of open
source software as being low-cost or free as being it's main
selling point. While that applies in a very surface sense, a
lot of hard work and labor goes into the production of open
source software and if we want to look into the future, I'm
talking about 30+ years from now, we need to recognize that
the sustainability of open source can't rest on some sort of
magical and inane conceptualization of cheap pricing. Stop
the WalMartization and Americanization of open source
production. American Capitalism loves to promote cheap
products, but it tries to hide the actual oppressive
anti-worker labor practices that get us those cheap
products. That's why Imperialism is making a comeback,
because people in their SUVs want cheap gas. Enough! People
need to understand what the cost of open source labor is and
they need to appreciate that, even if they aren't paying for
it directly in dollars. Folks who don't code need to be
encouraged to give money or other support whenever they can,
not because they have to, but because it's the right and
sustainable thing to do.

4. Technology is NOT politics. Please stop mixing up and
conflating two distinct and separate issues around open
source: political/social philosophy vs. technical
superiority/production process. I am sick and tired of
people who seem to be unable to clearly lay out the
arguments for open source along those two axises, without
tripping over their tongue and throwing the two together.
Not everyone is going to be won over to FLOSS for the same
reasons and you need to learn how to communicate to
non-nerds the different aspects of FLOSS so that they can
then connect with the part that most clearly resonates with
them. For some, the ideas of intellectual freedom and
sharing are what will bring them over to FLOSS. For others,
it will be purely a decision of technical superiority or
ease-of-use that wins them over. However, unless you can
clearly and concisely map out the FLOSS landscape, which few
seem to be able to do, you only end up sowing more FUD. Some
will say you can do both or that the two are inseparable,
but I strongly disagree. It's not about what YOU think, it's
about being able to communicate ideas to others so that they
can make their own decisions. When talking about the
non-profit world in particular, we need to get our act
together in how we communicate the concepts of FLOSS to
those not already a part of the community.

I'm off the soapbox.

Art McGee
Principal Consultant
Virtual Identity