Re: A small Debian-NP detail

On May 26, 09:51, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 09:20 pm, Holmes Wilson wrote:
> > Hi John,
> >
> > My general issue with Debian is that it's too slow to incorporate new
> > stuff.  This makes sense for people running servers where everything is
> > already more or less good enough.  But for Desktop users linux is *not
> > good enough yet* and so it's really important to get the newest
> > versions of everything onto peoples' computers quickly.  It seems like
> > Fedora Core is going to be pretty good at getting out the new stuff.  I
> > think we'll be switching to K12LTSP.org with FC 2 when it comes out.
>
> I think if you want desktop functionality, you probably will have to run
> Debian testing.  I don't know about Gnome, but the time between a new KDE
> point release and the time it hits testing is very short.
>
> Don't let the "testing" label scare you: I've been running testing and KDE
> 3.2 every day all day for a couple weeks and have not had a single
> problem.

I too have run testing in a production environment in the past without
problems but I now believe there is a better way.

http://www.backports.org/

The text below is the intro from the home page.

You are running Debian stable, because you prefer the stable Debian
tree. It runs great, there is just one problem: the software is a little
bit outdated compared to other distributions. That is where backports
come in.

Backports are recompiled packages from testing (mostly) and unstable (in
a few cases only, e.g. security updates), so they will run without new
libraries (wherever it is possible) on a stable Debian distribution. I
recommend you to pick out single backports which fits your needs, and
not to use all backports available here.

There isn't a KDE package yet but according to the KDE site there will
be one by the end of next month. ;)

http://download.kde.org/stable/latest/Debian/README

To me it is a much cleaner solution than running a mixed
stable/testing/unstable box and all the associated pinning hoohah and
makes troubleshooting a deal easier too.

Something to think about for the near future and maybe the live CD as
well.

BTW could we trim our posts and avoid top posting, it is not really the
done thing chaps, toodle pip. :)

Peace Jim
--
 Some people never go crazy. what truly horrible lives they must lead
 --Charles Bukowski