Re: Debian Non-Profit Server?

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 11:18:29AM -0500, Micah Anderson wrote:
> Finding out the potential similarities with the SME server (from
> mittel) is a good research project that someone definately needs to
> have a look at in order to best focus our energy and development in
> the right direction. We need to find out what kind of overlap there
> might be, and to see if we would be reduplicating anything
> unnecessarily.
>
> Does anyone have a good overview of their feature set? I've crawled
> through their web pages a number of times and haven't seen anything,
> except nice screenshots of their management interface.

Yes, I support the commercial version of SME Server to business clients and co-support half a dozen non profit orgs using the GPL distribution.

The GPL version is now hosted at:
http://contribs.org/modules/news/
though some information is still available at the old site:
http://www.e-smith.org/
In particular the design philosophy and architecture overview there are good starting points.

The official website is here:
http://www.mitel.com/DocController?documentId=9787
The you can find a featurelist of the commercial products here:
http://www.graenet.com/pdf/feature_list_MAS6000.pdf

Elements listed there but not included in the GPL version are:
- groupware
- webaccess control
- virus protection
- guaranteed email
- spam filtering
- outbound fax server
- free/busy scheduling
- online updates
- managed site to site IPSEC VPNs

> As I said previously, I think a debian NP server would facilitate the
> maintenance of a dynamic website, have internal knowledge management
> and collaborative tools, a full featured email server with a web-based
> LDAP user management front-end for everything from account creation,
> password changing, spam settings, email forwards, etc. As well as an
> out-of-the-box mailing list server, web cache, opengroupware, DNS
> cache, firewalling, statistical monitoring/alerts and easy distributed
> network backup system... this can be done in a modularized way, so
> that on installation particular modules could be selected depending on
> needs.
>
> I have been having trouble finding what SME has, their goals, and what
> their connection is with the commercial side, as well as the Mitre
> connection. Can someone help us better understand this?

Please ask away. I've been associated with SME Server since 1999.

Graeme Robinson - Graenet computer services
Linux server integration - Mitel partner (SME server)
http://www.graenet.com ph: 0408 130 316 graemer@graenet.com