Re: Debian Non-Profit Server?

In the initial assessment phase we did spec out on the wiki the
different things a server could offer
(http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianNPServer) additionally, at our
irc meeting we talked about if we should work on a desktop version or
a server version and ended up deciding that some people wanted to
focus on one, and some on the other, so we decided to split off to
work on a server version and some went to work on a desktop version.

Sadly, I think the server folks disappeared and didn't come up with anything
at all.

However, I am glad that you brought this up again, because I have been
thinking and writing along the same lines. Since riseup.net has been
putting together these sorts of tools in a cohesive way (and
documenting them!) as well as working with other groups who are doing
similar things (resist.ca for example), I have been very interested in
putting what we have together into a packagized distributable format.

We have been spec'ing out what these different server "modules" would
be, and have come quite a ways in developing working models (see
http://deb.riseup.net, our most flushed out spec is our mailserver:
http://deb.riseup.net/mail-server/buffy/ which includes nice web-based
LDAP user management software, web based administration, imap/pop,
maildrop, maildir, sasl, ssl/tls, virtual users, IMP, squirrelmail,
virus filtering and spam filtering. This all works quite well for
about 8,000 users).

What we need to do is wrap all of this up into an installable whole
and I was thinking of proposing debian NP as doing just that. I have
been thinking that if we had an installer which had these different
modularized "servers" (ie. mailing list server, email server, web
server, etc.) alongside hardware requirements tied with expected user
load and operating documentation this would be quite a nice thing.
There would be some additional add-on modules including things that a
small office/NGO would commonly use that riseup.net doesn't use (such
as an opengroupware server, squid proxy web cache) as well as some
add-ons that we do (firewall, caching dns server, statistical
monitoring, environmental monitoring, security enhancements and
monitoring, and nessus like services monitoring).

I would like to tie in some sort of on-line knowledge base software
into all of this so that people who use this system can tap into the
questions/answers other people who have used this system have had to
deal with and create the appropriate feedback loop so that there is
some element of support and additional documentation.

The distributed network backups concept that you toss out there is
something that riseup.net is beginning to put together with some
associated groups, and it would be far more powerful if it were shared
amongst a lot more groups (for the software involved, see "dibs" --
encrypted distributed backup system).

Additionally, I have been speaking with potential funders about this
and they think this is the way that debianNP needs to go and the way I
would like to go with it.

micah

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Enrico Zini wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'll be quick:
>
>  - Many of us work on internet servers for Civil Society (riseup.net,
>    comodino.org and so many others)
>  - Many of these projects share lots of common problems (LDAP user
>    database, mailing list software, user management...)
>
> I propose to also work on a "Debian Non-Profit Server" distribution, to
> be used in building internet servers for Civil Society.
>
> The opportunities are endless, like:
>  - joining forces for common maintenance and administration tasks
>  - creating software and protocols to exchange contents between
>    different servers promoting networking among projects
>  - creating stuff like distributed backups, so that if a server is
>    brought down the contents are still around
>
> For now I just want the idea to be in the air: Brazil is not far to hack
> on this in person...
>

> Ciao,
>
> Enrico
>
> --
> GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico@debian.org>

micah

----
"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, it
is the leaders of a country who determine the policy...Voice or no
voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
This is easy.  All you have to do is to tell them they are being
attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and
exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."
                                                  -- Goering, Nuremburg trial