Re: Distributing debian nonprofit

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:17:48AM +0100, Matthias Studer wrote:
> I'm currently working with an ONG called IRED (see
> http://www.ired.org).  This organisation is a network (the goal is
> to organize a network between ONG) with around 50 members (all ONG,
> mainly in west Africa and India) and in contact with something like
> 500 ONG (IRED is also in the UN).
>
> I talk with them about making some publicity and propaganda for
> linux distribution and they are agree.

Great news!

> So here's my questions :
>
> Is it possible to offer some CD's (some members are not connected to
> internet or poorly connected) or to find a way of doing it (if you
> have any idea...)

(1) Are you talking about an existing Debian-NP CD or customized CD?

The existing CD has an image online[1]. If you are interested in
modifying this CD, there is a HOWTO[2] online also and a new better
HOWTO is available online. I'm happy to walk you through doing this as
well on IRC.

(2) Are you talking about install-CD or boot CDs?

If you are talking about boot CDs, there are already images we have to
work from. You can install them and it works quite well. I'm currently
using an installed Debian-NP machine for a workstation and it works
great in many situations.

If you want a install CD only (or a set of CDs) a couple people
(Micah and myself for sure) have done some work on this but it's not
ready for production. If you want to work on this though, we can
get there.

> Do you know a good text about going to a linux platform for ONG
> (advantage, disadvantage, cost...) ?

I've given a couple talks on making the case for FOSS for
non-profits. I don't believe I have any recordings but I do have some
slides. Check out stuff at:

  http://mako.yukidoke.org/talks

Regards,
Mako