Re: GNUe (was "What's up?")

Hi Derek,

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Derek Neighbors wrote:

>It is disappointing to hear people rule out GNUe when as best I can tell
>they never dialoged with any GNUe developers.

Thanks for posting, it's good to hear your report that there is life in
the GNUe project!  I'm someone else who looked at the GNUe website and
decided that there didn't seem to be much momentum and activity.  You do
make a very good point that people shouldn't write off GNUe without
contacting the developers.  However, I'll tell you why I didn't think much
was happening -> no mailing list activity!  One of the first things I do
when checking out a project is look for activity on the development
mailing list(s).  There's practically none on 'gnue-dev'.

If someone happens to look at the page about the IRC channel the
developers use, *then* they see the text about IRC being the main
communication method between devlopers, *unlike* other projects.
Personally, I don't like IRC as a main developer communication method
because it's hard for new people to see the life of the project on its
website, and its harder to track down previously discussed issues and
threads of discussion.  Plus, the IRC logs are on a different website
which appears to be down at the moment, so I'm not even sure what they
have and how useful it is.

So maybe you guys should try to bite the bullet and move your discussions
to mailing lists like most projects, or at least put a more prominent
message on your website saying that the mailing lists aren't really used
and IRC is the way to contact anyone about the project.

>[...]
>That said we had an appserver that went strongly down the
>object/relational mapper.  I think for real business application
>development this is a mistake.

Why do you think it's a mistake?  I'd like to hear more about what you
guys have learned from your GNUe AppServer experience.

Jason

--
Jason Maas
DiscipleMakers  -->  www.dm.org