Re: DebianNP work and possible digital divide event

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 05:44:01PM +0200, Christian Surchi wrote:

> So I'd like to have a better idea about the state of our project so I
> can propose this talk and go on with my contribute to the project, so if
> you can help me you can spread on this list all your "secret" ;) work,
> suggestion, documents, slides, or any other sort of contributions for
> this task and for all the other way we can use to distribute information
> about DebianNP.
> What do you think about it?

I'm doing the same for the Net User 2 conference in Bulgaria! :)

I suggest that, in preparing our lectures, we share our findings, notes,
slides and other works here in the list.  I'd even go as far as
(ab)using the list as the way of communication between me and you for
exchanging ideas about these lectures, so that people can see our work,
discussions can start and contents can be pasted on the Wiki.

So far, the status of the situation seems to be:

Project resources:
	Web site: http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-nonprofit
	Wiki (http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianNonProfit)
	IRC channel: #debian-np on freenet
    	A mailing list: debian-nonprofit@lists.debian.org, with lots of
	interested technical and non-technical people in it

We're talking of a Custom Debian:
	http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?CustomDebian
	http://people.debian.org/~tille/debian-med/talks/200307_oslo_int/index_en.html

The project has been born in July 2003 (afaict)

List of participants: http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianNPParticipants

The goal is to create a ready-made distro for the non-profit world, with
the idea that you don't really need to convince them to use Linux, but
you only need to give Linux to them.

Two lines of development:
 - A Morphix live CD
 - A Debian-Installer installation CD, inspired from SkoleLinux

What has been obtained so far:
 - The list has already shown great potental to network people and
   resources that were unrelated before
 - Prepared a preliminary needs assessment at http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianNPNeeds
 - Mako has an initial list of applications (Mako: can you post it?)
 - Mako investigated on how to create Morphix images.  Alexander (the
   Morphix author) is in the list and hangs out in #debian-np
 - Enrico submitted yesterday the request to create an Alioth Debian-NP
   project, which will bring CVS and all the other Alioth services

What to do from now (short term priorities):

 - Create the first Morphix image.  This is a very short-term priority,
   so that we can have something to play with.
    - The package list is there
    - The instructions on how to make a Morphix CD are there
    - Mako is going to create the image in a script session, and then
      extracts the set of commands from the script file and start a
      preliminary documentation on how to create a Morphix Debian-NP cd

 - Create some branding artwork.  This should be another short-term
   priority, so that it can be used to give an identity to the CD images
   that are created
    - Missing: a splash screen with the Debian-NP, Debian and Morphix
      logos on it
    - Missing: a background image
    - Missing: someone working on it :)

 - Create documentation and scripts to make it easy to produce and
   modify Debian-NP images, so that many people can experiment and work
   on it

That's what I've gathered so far.  I was looking for an occasion to move
this discussion to the list: thank you for giving me! :)

Ciao,

Enrico