Re: Phil Morrell: Declaration of intent to become a DD, non-upl.

On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 10:56:38PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> > I would like to apply to change my status in Debian to Debian Developer, non-uploading.
> >
> > I have been maintaining two contrib packages in the Games Team, and now taken
> > on one main and 3 official backports. Debian has been my personal philosophy
> > for about a decade, I am not going anywhere, though my actions do wax and wane.
> > I want to be a part of deciding Debian's future through DPL elections and GRs.
>
> After reading the two mails that support so far your request, it grabs
> my attention that both Norbert and Markus mention working with you on
> activities that imply uploading -- "taking over the orphaned qalculate
> packages", "packaging contributions for games", "technical work
> accurate and correct"...
>
> My question is, why not applying for uploading DD? It would seem to be
> more consistent with your Debian involvement history!

Hi Gunnar, thank you for caring about my application.

I did originally apply for uploading, as it seemed the default way, but
I struggled to find sponsors. I've deliberately avoided collecting a
large QA page so I can avoid leaving any to bitrot, but that means I
don't have much experience with difficult packages. I think it's fair to
say I don't meet the requirement to "be trusted to have full,
unsupervised, unrestricted upload right now".

https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=debian@emorrp1.name

Additionally my most recent involvement, which I apparently omitted from
my Intent, has been more around the onboarding of new contributors and
coordination of others' work on kotlin. I enjoy being in a supportive
role and am ok with finding initial sponsors followed by upload
delegation on a per-package basis. The only DD restriction I'll miss out
on is the ability to directly sponsor uploads from mentors.debian.net.

I'm also intrigued to see if more long-time DMs join me in becoming DD
non-uploading first, and sooner in their contribution lifetime.