Re: Iñaki Martin Malerba: Declaration of intent

Hi Mattia, thanks for trying to keep the quality of the NM process :).

On 07/29/18 16:51, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> Hi Inaki,
>
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 03:02:19PM -0000, Iñaki Martin Malerba wrote:
>> I would like to apply to change my status in Debian to Debian Developer, uploading.
>> I've been working on salsa ci for the past months, developing a way to
>> generalize gitlab configs to get packages' feedback faster, towards
>> improving the reproducibility checks before packages are uploaded.
>> Also, I've packaged 3 new python libs, and helped with the maintainance of some other packages.
>
> Alas, I don't believe DD, uploading is an appropriate status for you.
> You have started contributing to debian this year, which is in no way
> enough time for anybody to be granted so many powers.
>
> I also can't see how contributing to Salsa's CI requires DDship, so it's
> also not a case where lacking of this "DD" flag is blocking any work.
>
> If you are "concerned" about your own package, then the way to go for
> now would be DM, unless there are reasons not to, which I'd be glad to
> hear.

I get your point but I think this is not a good way to proceed. Sometimes it
can be demotivating and a little bit rude for someone new who is trying to give
her/his free time for Debian. IMO, wanting to be part of the Debian project is
a good enough reason for applying as DD. After all, he has two advocates, his
key is signed by two DDs as well, so I don't see any reason why he can't apply
as DD, at least a documented one.

From the other side, our documentation about the requirements are vague and I
think that we must to work on that. I guess that you Mattia don't enjoy too
much being the person who is arbitrating every case and if it is the case, if
you enjoy it, you are going to burn out soon...
If we as a project, need to raise the requirements (explicitly) because we
think that is the way to keep the quality high, let's do it. Just to give some
examples of what requirements we can have:

* 1 year of continuous contributions
* Being DM for 6 months at least
* 4 advocates at least

Just to mention requirements that you Mattia have mentioned in other threads.
What do you think? Is that make any sense? Please if someone thinks it's worth
it, just answer in a separate thread where we can discuss the "new old
requirements".

--
TiN