Report for 'Debian Developer, uploading' applicant Sascha Steinbiss

Hello,

I recommend to accept Sascha Steinbiss as a new Debian Developer, uploading.
The account name is satta.

 * Applicant background

I am a bioinformatics software developer, originally from Germany but
living in the UK for a couple of years now, working at the Sanger
Institute,a large genomics research facility near Cambridge. Being
interesting in computers ever since my youth, I eventually became
interested in computing environments that did not try to hide the
underlying plumbing from the curious user, and I started experimenting
with various GNU/Linux distros (and FreeBSD for a while) around 2000.
My first serious exposure to Debian was around 2002-2003, when its
powerful package system won me over to propose it as a server OS to be
used in various server roles in my employer's network at the time. I
have ever since relied on it as a clean and stable operating system and
my distro of choice.

At the Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC) 2011 in Vienna I got
in touch with the DD Steffen Moeller, who introduced me to the Debian
Med team. This connection has been strengthened by my regular
participation in the Debian Med Sprints from 2012 to 2016. Since I have
been active in the team I have introduced or adopted more than 20
packages, for some of which I am also upstream. Most of them have a
sequence analysis focus but I would also like to broaden my involvement
a bit. Doing this I also started reaching out to other teams, e.g.
Debian Perl Group or Privacy Tools team, where I also maintain one or
more packages. I also have recently started preparing backports (via my
sponsors), contributing to Debian Med's Ubuntu PPA, and submitting
reproducibility patches for other packages.
I became a DM in 2012 and have been doing my own uploads since then,
holding DM permissions on most of the packages mostly maintained by me.

In the future would like to continue focusing my work on those areas,
and also help out with the Reproducible Builds effort if there is time
left. I would also like to keep and extend my bonds with the local
upstream developers I work with here at Sanger.

Regards,

Tomasz Buchert