AM report for Bernhard Schmidt

I recommend to accept Bernhard Schmidt as a Debian Developer.

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Bernhard
   Last name:       Schmidt
   Key fingerprint: D6E0 1EC5 16A5 DFCE F719  56D3 7750 79E5 B850 BC93
   Account:         berni

2. Background
-------------

I was born in 1982 and have started my telecommunication "career" in
1995 with a 14400bps Creatix modem, when I got an AOL internet trial
month and then switched to the BBS world for pricing reasons. I ran a
BBS and was a member (Point, Node and (in the end) Hub) of Fidonet and
several other Fidonet-style networks until around 2002. During that
time I regularly experimented with other Operating Systems, in the end
the BBS had ran on DOS, OS/2 Warp 3, Warp 4, Windows NT 3.51/NT4/2000
and Linux. A fellow FidoNet guy introduced me into Linux and I started
with SuSE Linux 5.0 in 1997. My memory is a bit rusty here and I
honestly cannot remember it, but according to
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/de-gateways/list/ I ran a E-Mail/Fidonet
gateway on Debian beginning of 1999, which would make my first Debian
experience Debian 2.0 (Hamm) or earlier. During the years I also tried
(in no particular order) FreeBSD, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Slackware,
Linux-from-Scratch and probably a few more. Personally I have been
largely Debian-only since 2007 again.

Professionally I have been working at ISPs doing Network Engineering
starting 2001. Due to these ISPs being small-to-medium-sized shops this
usually involved both the network and the usual ISP services like DNS,
Mail, News and Web. Since then IPv6 is a pet-peeve of mine. I have
joined the computing center of the Munich universities (LRZ) when I
started studying Computer Science and have been responsible for (among
other things) one of the biggest early IPv6 deployments in the area of
Educational Campus Networks. This workplace has been SuSE-only from day
one, but together with a couple of Debian-fanatic colleagues we have
managed to switch literally dozens of servers to Debian. I'm also
responsible for the system administration side of our Mail system which
is Debian-only (around 25 VMs alone). We have built a local Debian
support infrastructure which we run as "professionally" as possible
(git-buildpackage for local packages, lintian-clean, cowbuilder,
reprepro). In addition I have been freelance consulting in that Area for
the last 13 years.