Re: Who adds when upload privileges for a DM? - Best practice

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Jan 3, 2015 at 6:42 AM, Andreas Metzler <ametzler@debian.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was recently asked by a Debian maintainer (DM) to enable him/her to
> upload a package to Debian (dcut dm --allow ...). Since I am not
> that familiar with DM I searched for some kind of best practice
> document on DM. However I only found documention on how to apply for
> DM and how to upload to Debian as DM but not the other side. So I
> asking here. ;-)
>
> I *suspect* that usually this just happens as the natural continuation
> of sponsorship. First a DD would sponsor a specific package and later
> when the sponsor's contribution mainly consists of debsign he/she
> would set upload privileges.
>
> Is this correct? Are orphaned packages handled differently?

I don't know of any authoritative source on this, but I believe that
the intention is for the DD to be familiar with the DM's prior work
and to have some level of trust in them before granting DM upload
rights. Being granted DM upload rights usually follows sponsorship,
yes. I'm not aware of any specific set of criteria that has to be met
before a DM should be granted upload rights, so it ultimately comes
down to a judgment call by the DD.

Regards,
Vincent