AM report for Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>

Hi,

1. Identification & Account Data
- --------------------------------
   First name:      Emmanuel
   Last name:       Bourg
   Key fingerprint: B8CE 4DE2 1080 DCF9 03E1  6C40 F513 C419 E4B9 D0AC
   Account:         ebourg
   Forward email:   ebourg@apache.org

   ID check passed, key signed by 2 existing developers:
Stefano Zacchiroli and Sylvestre Ledru. The latter one won't show up in
keycheck.sh due to his weak key used for the keysign. I've noted him
about this a month ago and he promised he'll sign the key of Emmanuel
with his stronger key. Still didn't happen, but I won't delay his
process any longer. :(

   Output from keycheck.sh:
gpg: requesting key E4B9D0AC from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
pub   4096R/E4B9D0AC 2013-04-16
      Key fingerprint = B8CE 4DE2 1080 DCF9 03E1  6C40 F513 C419 E4B9 D0AC
uid                  Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>
gpg: can't handle public key algorithm 19
sig!         6D866396 2013-04-19  Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@upsilon.cc>
sig!3        E4B9D0AC 2013-04-16  Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>
sub   4096R/C15DB0DF 2013-04-16
sig!         E4B9D0AC 2013-04-16  Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org>

3 signatures not checked due to missing keys
Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
Key has 4096 bits.
Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

2. Background
- -------------
   Applicant writes on 17 Aug 2013 00:25:13 +0200:

> Do you (co-)maintain any packages? Did you get any feedback on your
> packages from users, maybe in the form of bug reports or via other
> channels? Please give a short summary about the work you have done so
> far on the packages.

I started providing package updates to various Java packages in March
this year. Most of these packages are co-maintained. My contributions
span across 100+ packages and consist mainly in new upstream releases,
FTBFS bug fixes, writing patches and forwarding them upstream to
transition to more recent libraries, refreshing the packages, getting
new libraries into Debian and removing obsolete packages.

> Are you a 'Debian Maintainer' as described on
> http://wiki.debian.org/Maintainers or do you plan to become a DM?

I'm a DM since June.

> Are you involved in any porting activity? Do you work on or provide
> Debian infrastructure, like build daemons, mirror servers, or other
> services for users or developers?

No

> Are you working on the Debian webpages? Do you do translations of
> package descriptions, debconf templates, or other parts of Debian?

No

> Have you written bug reports, or contributed input to existing
> reports? Did you write patches? Please list the packages with bug
> numbers and titles you made a non-trivial contribution to.

Here is the list of the bugs I reported:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;submitter=ebourg%40apache.org

I wrote several patches, here are some examples of the non-trivial ones:

* libmysql-connector-java: FTBFS with Java 7

http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/pkg-java/trunk/mysql-connector-java/debian/patches/0002-java6-compilation-compat.patch?revision=3D17134&view=markup

* voms-api-java: Transition to Bouncy Castle 1.48

http://sources.debian.net/src/voms-api-java/2.0.9-1.1/debian/patches/01_bouncycastle-1.48-compatibility.patch

* josm: Transition to metadata-extractor 2.6
  http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/8895

* jglobus: Transition to Bouncy Castle 1.49

https://github.com/ebourg/JGlobus/commit/8d2239055886bac14e41e3eca797fe03db9da9f9

I spent a fair amount of time working on the transition to the latest
version of Bouncy Castle, the progression of this task is tracked by
#687694.

> Do you participate in any team like those listed on
> http://www.debian.org/intro/organization or similar? Are you involved
> in any other Debian sub-project or related project (e.g. DebConf)?
> With which Debian Developers or contributors have you worked with so
> far?

I'm a member of the Debian Java Maintainers team. I've worked with the
following developers:
* Sylvestre Ledru
* Tony Mancill
* James Page
* Damien Raude-Morvan
* Thomas Koch
* Martin Ferrari
* Ludovic Claude
* Niels Thykier
* Mathieu Malaterre
* Gregor Herrmann
* Olivier Sallou

> Are you active on Debian mailing lists? On IRC? The Debian wiki? Any
> other communication media? Have you been to DebConf or other Debian
> events? Have you ever helped out at a booth run by Debian at fairs or
> conferences?

I'm active on the debian-java mailing list since 2009. I started idling
on the #debian-java IRC channel this year (nick: ebourg). I haven't
contributed to the wiki nor attended any conference yet.

> Are you upstream author of any open source program? Which other open
> source communities are you involved in?

I'm a committer on the Apache Commons projects since 2004
(http://commons.apache.org). That means I can act as upstream on the
following source packages:

commons-beanutils
commons-configuration
commons-csv
commons-daemon
commons-exec
commons-io
commons-javaflow
commons-jci
commons-math3
commons-pool
commons-vfs
libbsf-java
libcommons-attributes-java
libcommons-cli-java
libcommons-codec-java
libcommons-collections3-java
libcommons-compress-java
libcommons-dbcp-java
libcommons-digester-java
libcommons-discovery-java
libcommons-el-java
libcommons-fileupload-java
libcommons-jexl-java
libcommons-jexl2-java
libcommons-jxpath-java
libcommons-lang3-java
libcommons-launcher-java
libcommons-logging-java
libcommons-modeler-java
libcommons-net2-java
libcommons-openpgp-java
libcommons-validator-java
ognl

I'm also author/contributor on several small open source projects:

jdeb - Ant/Maven tools for building Debian packages
https://github.com/tcurdt/jdeb

jsign - Java implementation of Microsoft Authenticode for signing
Windows executable files
http://ebourg.github.com/jsign

Jetrix - TetriNET server in Java
http://jetrix.sf.net

Flamingo SVG Transcoder - Tool for converting SVG images into Java2D
code
http://ebourg.github.com/flamingo-svg-transcoder

Keytool IUI - Cryptography GUI tool
https://code.google.com/p/keytool-iui/

> Which role (packaging/porting/documentation/translator/other) would
> you like to go through NM as?

Packaging

> Anything else you think we should be interested in? Maybe things you
> would like to do in the future?

I might be interested in QA work related to Java packages in the future,
like setting up a continuous integration system to catch
incompatibilities between packages.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
- -----------------------------
   Emmanuel has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and
   procedures and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. He is committed to uphold the SC and
   DFSG in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
- -------------------
   Emmanuel has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   He is co-maintainer of many packages (either as DM or his uploads are
   sponsored). For the full list, see his QA page[1].
   All packages are in good shape.
   Emmanuel also answered my other questions regarding T&S without
   problems.

5. Recommendation
   I recommend to accept Emmanuel Bourg as a Debian Developer.

Regards,
Laszlo/GCS
[1] https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=ebourg@apache.org