Re: DM application of Klee Dienes

I would like to stand as advocate for Klee Dienes now for Debian
maintainer and once that process concludes for Debian Developer.

Klee was a Debian developer back before I joined the project.  He
disappeared around 2000 back before we had a policy for retiring or a
formal MIA process.  I've discussed the circumstances with him and would
be happy to discuss with any DD who needs to know or to send a summary
to debian-private if requested.  Klee believes he should have sent a
message explaining that he could no longer be involved in the project.
That said we all make mistakes and I think Klee will/di follow through
on his commitments.  I'd recommend treating this case a lot closer to an
emeritus developer returning than a typical MIA case.

I spent about 8 hours working with Klee at a BSP run at the MIT Student
Information Processing Board.  During that time:

* I reviewed two of Klee's packages prior to sponsoring them

* Discussed his long-term plans in Debian

* Watched how Klee works to maintain packages, learn tools, approach
  understanding policy issues, and evaluate licensing concerns

* Watched Klee work with users to triage bugs and to teach users the
  skills necessary so they could write better bug reports and contribute
  to the community.

I was very impressed with the quality of Klee's packaging and the detail
he spent researching options.  He was particularly good at researching
existing tools, existing best practices and focusing on code re-use,
following policy, etc.  Klee has sensitivity to licensing issues that is
well above average.  I give points to anyone who can show me new obscure
details of the GPL.:-)

Klee plans to maintain a significant chunk of simulation software in
Debian.  He's done a significant chunk of packaging  effort (see his
packages on mentors).  He also maintains a build infrastructure to make
these packages available for Debian, and I believe Ubuntu and fedora.

Klee understands the free software community--both its advantages and
challenges.