AM report for Russell Stuart

I recommend to accept Russell Stuart as a Debian Developer.

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
First name: Russell
Middle name: -
Last name: Stuart
Key fingerprint: DF08380A8FA9E29511F4C9DF966EAACACDE97281
Account: ras

2. Background
-------------
For my thesis at Uni I helped port Bell Labs Unix V7 to a new platform.
I developed a fondness for Unix back then. After graduation I did what
could be loosely called computer programming, loosely because the
industry was not so stratified back then. It might be called "dev-ops"
today, although dev-ops doesn't usually include building hardware.

Commercial realities meant I all my programming on Windows after
graduation. That changed a couple of decades later, when I took up the
opportunity to work for a company that used Linux on their servers. Not
long after that Linux User Group brought Linux Conference Australia to
my home town, Brisbane. The energy and playfulness I felt there brought
back memories of my Uni days, so I joined the LUG. I remain a regular
attendee, and have held various positions on the Executive.

Working professionally with Linux inevitably means you come across this
don't work or are irritating. In other words there were lots of itches
to scratch. This lead me down a path I think many follow - I ended up
carrying a lot of patches which made the value of pushing them upstream
and my distributions packaging system very evident. Contributing
upstream for the most projects was easy, as most projects were keen to
accept bug reports and new features.

The one notable exception was Debian. Getting code into Debian via any
path other than submitting a bug and waiting for the maintainer to do
something with it was impossible without becoming a DD. But merely
presenting Debian with evidence that you were competent at packaging was
not good enough (I did several ITP's with URL's to the package I had
already done). To become a DD you had to join a Debian social clique -
in other words find a group of DD's that were happy to allow you to
indenture yourself to them, so they could observe you. This isn't
compatible with people like me who operate as lone wolf's. I had to
content myself with creating a public Debian repository, containing all
the packages created or back ported.

It turns out if you contribute for 10 years someone does eventually
notice, and I am indebted to the DD that did. If my DD application
succeeds I will continue to do what I have always done - scratch the
occasional itch. The main motivation for becoming a DD is so I can
contribute those scratches to Debian without spending hours begging
someone to accept them.

--
Copyshops should do vouchers. So that next time some bureaucracy
requires you to mail a form in triplicate, you can mail it just once,