AM report for Matthias Klumpp

I recommend to accept Matthias Klumpp as a Debian Developer.

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Matthias
   Last name:       Klumpp
   Key fingerprint: D33A3F0CA16B0ACC51A60738494C8A5FBF4DECEB
   Account:         mak

2. Background
-------------

----
I am a student of Molecular Biomedicine at the university of Bonn in
Germany at time.
I use Linux for about 7 years now, starting some time ago with
OpenSUSE. I guess my first motivation to try Linux was just curiosity.
After using Fedora, I relatively quick came to Debian, then switched
to Ubuntu for some time and then went back to Debian again.
While my first motivation to enter the free software world was
curiosity, I stayed because I think that free software is very
important for us in our modern information-based society, and that it
can really change the world (probably not the software itself, but the
people who are committed to free software and prove that collaboration
is always possible.) Of course, my interest in mathematics and
informatics was also a huge reason to stay.
My main areas of interest are multimedia, package-management and
distribution/desktop collaboration, where package-management is
probably the area where I am most active at the moment.
I am a PackageKit developer and contribute also to other Freedesktop
projects. I am also a KDE developer, mainly active in the area of
integrating Freedesktop technology with KDE and adjusting both to work
well together.
My main field of work has been (trying to) solve the question how
users can easily install new software on their Linux machines and how
developers can distribute their software. Some of this work is already
running in the Ubuntu Software Center on Ubuntu. I am developer of the
AppStream components, a Freedesktop-Project and Cross-Distro
collaboration which makes it possible to build applications like the
Ubuntu Software Center, but in a way that they can work on multiple
distributions and distributions can share as much data as possible.
(which makes it possible to develop stuff like e.g. GNOME Software)
I am also the maintainer of Listaller, a new approach for installing
applications in a cross-distro way. The project contains many good
concepts, but is still a little bit experimental (but working good for
some people who are already using it).

On the Debian side I fixed the projectM packaging (by rewriting some
parts of it upstream), made packagekit and related stuff available,
helped implementing debconf for KDE and did many other minor changes.
I also initiated the DEP-11 proposal together with Michael Vogt and
Julian Andres Klode, which will make it possible to have much more
useful metadata for Debian archives and which will avoid some
workarounds Ubuntu uses to provide a Software Center. (DEP-11 is
currently pending implementation)

This summer, I participated in the Google Summer of Code for OpenSUSE
as part of their distro-interoperability track. I did many invasive
changes on PackageKit during that time, implementing some advanced
features there, and I also added changes to make the Ubuntu Software
Center a little bit more distribution-neutral. It is now working even
on Fedora (but it's still a little bit slow). One of the results of
this SoC project is also the AppStream core library to access
application metadata using a GObject interface, which allows anyone to
build a software center by just using the new APIs combined with
PackageKit.

For the future, I plan to continue and finish all the stuff I already
started, including some enhancements in Apt/Dpkg, e.g. to make
packages properly state if a reboot is required. - These changes will
give Debian first-class application management support for desktop
users. (of course, all non-GUI installations won't notice any change)
I also would like to get involved in the Debian Medical Team to
support them in providing the software I have to use in the lab daily.

I like programming in GLib/C and Vala or Qt/C++.
----