Re: [experimental] server-side archival of NM conversations

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 01:51:48PM +0200, Enrico Zini wrote:
> I've implemented an experimental mail bot to archive NM conversations.

This is _exceedingly cool_, thanks a lot for this.

> It contains mad science.

Eh, it does :-)

> Practical consequences:
[…]

>  - We can have a look at the current conversation before pinging
>    processes that look stuck.

Let me add one desired consequence here, which was the main reason why I
suggested something similar to this one (but with no working code
attached, sorry) a couple of years ago.

If we start _expecting_ people to use the archive feature, we can set up
heuristic to automatically spot processes that get stuck, e.g. mail
patterns like "AM stop replying to NM 1 month ago and in the meantime NM
mailed AM thrice". It will take time to get the heuristics right, but
the potential benefit in reducing FrontDesk efforts to find out stuck
processes (which are a great source of NM frustration) is huge.

Have you already thought about how to encourage usage of the mail
archiving feature? Would it be reasonable to add to the NM report a
section like "processes with no mail exchanges in the past $x days"?

Thanks again,
/me excited