Re: Question about gpg key.

Boris Pek dijo [Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:02:28AM +0200]:
> > I have read all related documentation before send the message.
> > Procedure [4] affects only DD. But I am not even DM now.
> > And it seems like the key of a sponsored maintainer does not matter and it can
> > be changed in any moment. Because only one important thing in upload to the main
> > repo is the sign of sponsor (DD) which is checked by bot.
> > Correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > That's why I asked the question.
>
> In other words.
> Should I sign my new key by old one or make any other action?
> Or can I just use new key as it is?

< keyring-maint hat on >

Sorry for the delay, as I should have answered to your question
earlier on.

Yes, if you want to get closer to Debian (that is, be able to do any
uploads by yourself), you _do_ need to move to a 4096R key. But, as to
this specific question: If you are not interested in becoming DM or
DD, nobody will object - If I were to be your sponsor, I could do
everything without you even having a GPG key. A sponsor must not
blindly build and upload, but check everything as if it were his own
package. (Of course, once you have a working relation with a DD/DM
that sponsors you, _and_ you use a GPG key regardless of its strength,
said DD/DM will start trusting your work)

But anyway - Create a new key. Try to get it signed. Even if the old
one has many signatures, start getting people (specially those better
connected) to sign the new one. *Do* sign the new key with the old
one, to ensure people who already know you it is still you doing
this.