AM report for Johann Felix Soden

1. Identification & Account Data
--------------------------------
   First name:      Johann
   Middle name:     Felix
   Last name:       Soden
   Key fingerprint: 477C 8339 D36D 766E D853  201C 8359 193B FDCB
   Account:         johfel
   Forward email:   johfel@gmx.de

   ID check passed, key signed by 3 existing developers:

   Output from keycheck.sh:
> pub   4096R/FDCB09C4 2009-08-03
>       Key fingerprint = 477C 8339 D36D 766E D853  201C 8359 193B FDCB 09C4
> uid                  Johann Felix Soden <johfel@gmx.de>
> sig!         9ED101BF 2009-10-12  Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
> sig!3        D49AE731 2009-09-07  Christoph Egger <christoph.egger@gmx.de>
> sig!3        FDCB09C4 2009-08-03  Johann Felix Soden <johfel@gmx.de>
> uid                  Johann Felix Soden <johfel@users.sourceforge.net>
> sig!         9ED101BF 2009-10-12  Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org>
> sig!3        D49AE731 2009-09-07  Christoph Egger <christoph.egger@gmx.de>
> sig!3        FDCB09C4 2009-08-03  Johann Felix Soden <johfel@gmx.de>
> sub   4096R/8598E8A5 2009-09-07
> sig!         FDCB09C4 2009-09-07  Johann Felix Soden <johfel@gmx.de>
>
> Key is OpenPGP version 4 or greater.
> Key has 4096 bits.
> Valid "e" flag, no expiration.
> Valid "s" flag, no expiration.

2. Background
-------------
   Applicant writes:
> I am 24 years old and study physics in Munich, Germany. I use Debian
> for about 9 years. Soon I switched to Debian Sid and got to know its
> beautiful and challenging sides. I wanted to contribute more than just
> writing bug reports.
>
> I searched for missing packages and found pdfchain, a simple GUI to
> pdftk, and packaged it for Debian. Soon pdftk (which attracted my
> attention because of its uncommon combination of C++ and java) was at
> risk of being thrown out from Debian because of serious bugs. I fixed
> them and adopted the package 2009. I had to replace upstream until
> middle of last year, when a new version was released including lots of
> my patches from the Debian package. Shortly after this, I could obtain
> the DM status.
>
> As I use vim and LaTex often and was annoyed with the bugs in the
> vim-latexsuite package, I prepared a QA-upload of it in 2009 and then
> started to maintain it.
>
> Since April this year, I maintain additionally the orphaned ketchup
> package (a tool to download vanilla kernels). After some new upstream
> versions and many patches, the package is now usable again and has some
> new features.
>
> Beside maintaining my packages, I prepared some QA- and NMU-uploads
> (fig2sty, netstat-nat, duma, opencryptoki,...) and attended bug
> squashing parties.
>
> I helped to prepare Munich's (final not successful) bid to Debconf11 in
> 2009.
>
> For future Debian contributions, I am interested in QA work and
> sponsoring packages. Since I study physics, contributing to the
> packaging of scientific software in one of the teams or as co-maintainer
> would make sense, too.

3. Philosophy and Procedures
-----------------------------
   Johann has a good understanding of Debian's philosophy and procedures
   and answered all my questions about the social contract,
   DFSG, BTS, etc. in a good way. Johann committed to uphold the SC and DFSG
   in his Debian work and accepts the DMUP.

4. Tasks and Skills
   Johann has a good understanding of the technical side of Debian.
   Johann is maintainer of pdftk, pdfchains, vim-latexsuite and ketchup.
   All packages are in good shape.
   Johann also answered my other questions regarding T&S without problems.

   I recommend to accept Johann as a Debian Developer.

--
Luke Faraone;; Debian & Ubuntu Developer; Sugar Labs, Systems
lfaraone on irc.[freenode,oftc].net -- http://luke.faraone.cc